Mr Danny Cregan
Hawker Scholar: 2002 – 2005
Degree: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws
Institution: University of Adelaide and in residence at St Mark's College
Career Goal: To enter politics or the Diplomatic Service
Danny Cregan has achieved much to date. A pivotal time in his life was a trip to Canberra where he visited the National Portrait Gallery. After walking in the gallery lined with people who had worked for Australia, he researched many of their lives.
Deeply inspired by the achievements of Nugget Coombs, Robert Menzies and John Curtin, he returned to Western Australia, determined to follow the example demonstrated by these men. This experience, and now having learnt of Charles Hawker, Danny is committed to fulfilling his goal to enter politics or the diplomatic service.
Danny is a very successful student of Hale School in Western Australia where he completed his senior studies last year. He is described by the staff at Hale as a most able and independent student, capable of working with and leading others, he is at the same time prepared to stand apart for his principles and if necessary be different.
He is a published award-winning author and he appreciates quality educational opportunities and makes the most of them to achieve excellent outcomes.
His major achievements are impressive.
• Awarded the prestigious Tim Winton Award for Young Writers
• Awarded the first 500 Club Medal by his former school Christian Brothers College. This medal is awarded to students who complete 500 km in cross -country events in one calendar year.
• Invited to become a special junior member of the Royal Australian Air Force Association as a result of his excellent cadet service and service to the community.
• Last year won the WA Division of the prestigious Penguin, Qantas, Somerset, National Novella Prize.
• Offered a writing contract from Penguin to publish his novella Papua in January this year.
• Represented Hale School at the WA school's Constitution Convention in Perth and WA at the State Convention as a student delegate to the national school's Convention in Melbourne in 2001.
• He's achieved a Duke of Edinburgh Scheme Bronze level and is working on his silver award.
• Captain of the Hale School Mock Trial team
• Represented Hale School with distinction in cross-country running and public speaking as well as receiving numerous academic prizes in History, Politics, Legal Studies and poetry. As a House Prefect, he has captained his House debating team, played cricket, soccer and Walla rugby.
Danny is an exceptional student. He is now a resident of St Mark's College at the University of Adelaide where he is studying an Arts/Law degree. He is an intelligent, talented and articulate young Australian.
Danny Cregan is the first Western Australian student to be awarded a Hawker Scholarship.